Smoked Beef Brisket with Pan-Fried Gnocchi
Pasta and smoked beef brisket - what’s not to like? Gracemere Hotel’s Signature Smoked Beef Brisket with Pan-fried Gnocchi is perfect with a glass of red wine. Enjoy!
Brisket Spice Rub
- 200g American mustard
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 25ml olive oil
- 500g gnocchi (boiled and cooled)
- 1/4 Spanish onion
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 200g pumpkin, diced and roasted
- 80g semi-dried tomato
- 180ml cooking cream
- 10g basil pesto
- 50g baby spinach
- 25g shaved parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat smoker to 120°C.
- Combine the dry ingredients for the brisket rub into a bowl. Rub the brisket with the American mustard, making sure to coat the brisket on both sides. Sprinkle with the dry ingredients. For a more intense flavour, marinate the brisket overnight.
- Place the brisket into the smoker and smoke for 12 hours. To increase tenderness, wrap the brisket in aluminium foil once internal temperature reaches 75°C and place back in the smoker for the last 2 hours. The final internal temperature should reach 90°C.
- Rest the brisket for up to 2 hours before slicing.
- Grill the brisket slices on the chargrill for a stronger flavour (optional).
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add gnocchi and boil until the gnocchi floats.
- Drain and cool with running water.
- Coat with a drizzle of olive oil and refrigerate until cool.
- In a non-stick frying pan, add olive oil and fry the gnocchi until golden and caramelised.
- Add Spanish onion and chopped garlic. Then add the roasted pumpkin, semi-dried tomatoes and saute.
- Add cream and pesto and lastly add baby spinach until just wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Place gnocchi into a serving bowl and add grilled brisket slices on top. Garnish with shaved parmesan and micro herbs.