Discover the historic golden town
Mount Morgan is a picturesque historic town nestled in the Dee Ranges, situated approximately 38 km South West of Rockhampton.
Rich in history, the former mining town is home to one of the world’s most successful mines to date. Commencing operation in 1882, the mine became one of the richest gold mines in Australia, and for a period of time - the world. During its 99 years of mining the area declared a total of 225 tons of gold, 50 tons of silver and 360,000 tons of copper.
The town offers ideal opportunities to delve into the area’s early successes and relive its fascinating past with a range of impressive attractions on show, along with museums and tours operating 7 days.
While you're in Mount Morgan, check out these top things to do:
- Visit the Mount Morgan Railway Museum that also houses the town's Visitor Information Centre
- Step back in time at the Mount Morgan Historical Museum
- Pack a picnic or BBQ and relax by the side of the Mount Morgan No. 7 Dam
- Snap an insta worthy picture on the Private Victor Stanley Jones Suspension Bridge
- Grab a miners pie (available on the weekends) from the Mount Morgan Hot Bread Shop and head to the The Arthur Timms Lookout for spectacular views of the Mount Morgan Mine
For more information, check out the following things to see and do and plan your visit around upcoming events in town.