The Perfect Pub Steak
Straight out of the Beef Capital, Rockhampton’s Red Lion Hotel shares how to cook the perfect pub steak. Keep it simple and pair it with a traditional side salad.
- 350g Wagyu rump or any good quality MSA grain fed rump
- 100g mesculin leaf mix, washed
- 4 ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 small cucumber, sliced
- 1.4 Spanish onion, finely sliced
- 1/4 red capsicum, sliced
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper for seasoning
- Preheat grill, pan, or barbeque on a high heat.
- Prepare rump by seasoning well with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Add rump to grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, turning only once per side. Rest for 3-5 minutes to allow the muscle fibres to relax.
- Whilst steak is resting, prepare the salad by tossing ingredients together in a bowl.
- When you're ready to plate, flash steak on grill to gain some heat after the resting period. Assemble beef and salad on plate as desired.
Recipe note: Add as many ingredients to the salad as you like and serve with your favourite salad dressing. Try a different seasoning on the beef to really make it shine.