Southern Style Beef Short Ribs
This dish from Rockhampton’s iconic Criterion Hotel is easy to make at home and doesn’t involve too much preparation time. It’s a nice, rustic dish perfect for the cooler months that’s tender and flavoursome.
- 1 full rack of beef ribs (4 cutlets)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup smoked sea salt (regular salt or sea salt is also fine)
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 2 tbsp black cracked pepper
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
Lemon Thyme Garlic Mushrooms
- 200g button mushrooms
- 1/2 bunch lemon thyme (normal thyme is also fine)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 1300C
- Cut the rack of ribs into 4 cutlets and add to a bowl.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Pat 1/3 of dry ingredient mixture onto the ribs. Rest and allow the mix to absorb into the meat. Once the ribs appear to have absorbed the spice mix, add a small amount to re-coat. Place ribs into the fridge (covered) for approximately 30 minutes to an hour.
- In a deep baking dish, add some grease proof paper and 2 cups of water.
- Add the ribs to the baking dish and lightly cover with some olive oil. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminium foil.
- Cook for approximately 4 hours until tender.
- Quarter the mushrooms. Take off the stem of the thyme and dice finely.
- Put a fry pan on high heat with vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Turn down the heat and add the butter and thyme.
- Once the mushrooms are almost cooked, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds - 1 minute and take off the heat.
Plate the mushrooms and finish with the beef ribs on top.
Serving suggestion: This dish is also great on a bed of sweet potato or cheesy polenta, finished with a red wine jus or smoky barbecue sauce.
Download Recipe Card(PDF, 565KB)