Hiking & Bushwalking Trails
lace up the boots
Hiking through national parks surrounding the region will delight the fittest bush walker or those just out for an overnight caravan or camp spot. We've put together our list of the best hikes and bush walks around Rockhampton and its surrounds.
Mount Archer (Nurim) National Park
Directions to Mount Archer National Park | National Park website
Many walking and hiking tracks of varying difficulty in Mount Archer (Nurim) National Park provides a challenge for early morning and late afternoon fitness fanatics, with their efforts rewarded by stunning views and gentle breezes on the way up or down the summit.
- Nurim Circuit | Grade: Easy, wheelchair accessible | Distance: 500 m | Time: Allow 20 minutes
- Bracken Fern Way | Grade: Easy | Distance: 1.4 km return | Time: Allow 45 minutes
- Sleipner Lookout Walk | Grade: Moderate | Distance: 2.4 km return | Time: Allow 1 hour
- Zamia Walk | Grade: Difficult | Distance: 14 km one way | Time: Allow up to 5 hours
MOUNT ETNA CAVES NATIONAL PARK
Directions to Mount Etna National Park | National Park website
Self-guided and guided tours take you through dry rainforest ecosystem and limestone caves and outcrops. You can even take a Bat Cleft Tour along the Mount Etna Walk, and learn about one of the largest maternity sites for little bent-wing bats.
The Mount Etna Walk is closed to independent walkers from 1 November to the end of February for bat breeding season. You can still take the Bat Cleft Tour during this time.
Tip: the viewing platform above is on the Mount Etna Walk. To get to this walk, you need to travel along Rossmoya Road and turn left after the sign. See the National Parks map for further directions.
- Cammoo Circuit | Grade: Easy | Distance: 600m circuit | Time: Allow 45 minutes
- Mount Etna Walk | Grade: Medium | Distance: 2.4km return | Time: Allow 1 hour
- Bat Cleft Tours | Grade: Medium | Distance: 2.4km return | Time: 3 hour tour along the Mount Etna Walk
Byfield National Park NATIONAL PARK
Directions to Byfield National Park | National Park website
Just one hour's drive north east of Rockhampton, you'll find yourself surrounded by stunning rainforest with clear, cold creeks and waterholes, coastal scenery, sand dunes and remote camping spots. Most picnic spots and walks are easily reached but some areas are 4WD only. Check out the Byfield Discovery Guide for a full list of hikes, camp grounds and 4WD tracks.
- Venusta Circuit, Upper Stoney | Grade: Easy | Distance: 900m return from Upper Stoney Creek visitor area | Time: 20 minutes
- Stoney Creek Circuit, Upper Stoney | Grade: Moderate - Difficult | Distance: 4.3km return from Upper Stoney day-use area | Time: Allow 4 hours
- Bowenia Rainforest Circuit, Water Park Creek | Grade: Easy | Distance: 1.2km return from Water Park Creek day-use area | Time: 30 minutes
BLACKDOWN TABLELAND NATIONAL PARK
Directions to Blackdown Tableland National Park | National Park website
This national park is a two hour drive from Rockhampton in the Central Highlands. Rising high above the surrounding plains, the park protects deep gorges, spectacular lookouts and scenic waterfalls. Rock faces display traditional Ghungalu artwork.
- Goon Goon Dina Walk | Grade: Moderate | Distance: 2.5km circuit | Time: Allow 1.5 hours
- Mook Mook Walk | Grade: Moderate | Distance: 1.2km one way | Time: Allow 25 minutes
- Gudda Gumoo Walk | Grade: High | Distance: 1.8km one way to the lookout, 2km one way to the waters | Time: Approx. 45 minutes to the lookout and one hour to the waters
BOULDERCOMBE GORGE RESOURCE RESERVE
Directions to Bouldercombe Gorge | All Trails website
Just a 25 minute drive south west of Rockhampton is Bouldercombe Gorge Falls. This Reserve trail is a 2.7km lightly trafficked outback trail that features a waterfall and is recommended for very experienced adventurers.